JORDAN – In 2014, the Latin Patriarchate, supported by the Grand Magisterium of the Order of the Holy Sepulchre, undertook the restoration of two parish rectories in the heart Jordan, in Fuheis and in the large Christian community of Naur.
Fuheis is a small town about twenty miles northwest of Amman. A city of 20,000 people most of whom are Christians. The Fuheis rectory had not renovated for 15 years, making the residence of the priest a security risk. The electrical and mechanical installations on the exterior of the rectory were damaged. The project undertaken by the Patriarchate through the generous support of the Order of the Holy Sepulchre has facilitated the complete rehabilitation of the rectory’s insulation and soundproofing, the relocation of electrical and mechanical equipment, structural work and carpentry as well as surface repairs, plastering and painting, and the renovation of the kitchen, dining room and bathrooms.
In the city of Naur also, the rectory had been maintained over 20 years ago, which in turn led to a general deterioration, especially of insulation and soundproofing. Work on sealing the roof and some exterior work has been completed. The convent of Sisters of Naur has also undergone a renovation, its outdoor spaces being renovated. Naur, located west of Amman, is home to 50,000 inhabitants, of which many are Palestinians Christians who fled their country in 1948 and 1967.
Faithful to its mission, the Latin Patriarchate watches over the Christian community in the Holy Land, trying to make more appropriate responses to its needs, from the spiritual to the more concrete. A mission made possible by all the friends and lovers of the Holy Land who support the local Church, especially through the Grand Magisterium of the Equestrian Order of the Holy Sepulchre, all Lieutenancies, the Lieutenants, knights and Ladies of the Holy Sepulchre around the world, whose prayers, moral support and financial aid are more valuable every day in the heart of the Middle East if disturbed.